This Mod made for this game that will likely be 12 years aged by the time I can release Beta 1 of my Mod?
Yeah, this is a very special public announcement! Frankly, I must confess to you guys first, and then the friends I told in person, something epic. I have absolutely no desire to take anything from anyone else’s mods. Basically, the story goes like this. I used to want to borrow models and textures and even code from my favorite mods, which are listed like this.
- Age of the Ring
- RJ-RotWK 1.06
- Edain Mod
- Special Extended Edition
So yes, these are the mods I wanted to borrow from. But I changed my mind. Instead, I want to be totally original about my new models and new textures. The only new animations I will be adding will be for the new buildings that I make. Makeovers will be all over the place in this mod. Every Mordor building, for example, will get a makeover to match the architecture of the Mordor Fortress, and also of the game’s Dol Guldur map. Only the Haradrim Palace and Mumakil Pen are exempt from this. Those and the units they produce will be moved into new faction ‘Empire of the East‘.
Any new content that is not simply makeovers?
Yes, absolutely! Two new factions get added to this game by this mod:
- Yellow haired, Blue eyed pale humans who happen to be the most excellent horse riders in the Lord of the Rings mythology. Yes, that’s the mythos this game and this mod for it are based on. My Rohan faction will have several different options of cavalry but its only infantry option will be its equivalent to the Ithilien Rangers of the Gondor faction. These will be called ‘Yeoman Militia’ Otherwise, it will be all cavalry units and the only other exception will be an artillery unit called the ‘Yeoman Trebuchet’. All other troop types are things like Rohirrim fencers, archers, jousters, axemen, taskmasters [can toggle between archery and lancing], and Royal Guard [mounted by default but can dismount and remount interchangeably].
- Empire of the East [named in-game as ‘E.O.T.E.’]
- Black haired, Brown eyed tan humans who field plenty of different kinds of troop types. These range from an enormous slew of differently armed Easterlings, Variags of Khand as in horsemen who can do archery and jousting and footmen who can do archery and fencing. Corsairs of Umbar and even the three different Haradrim troop types [spear throwers for bfme1, archers for bfme2, horsemen for rotwk] EA Games created for the BfMe anthology as a whole, too. And yes, this will be the faction to go to for the Mumakil who will be 220% bigger in Scale and allowed to carry any infantry you want as long as its normal human infantry. Also, there will be Hill Trolls of Far Harad and Snow Trolls of the Orocarni Peaks.
Anything else to brag about before programming it in?
Actually, yes there is! Frankly, I will alert everyone to one more thing before this blog post ends. New Ring Hero system!
For those who don’t know, Ring Heroes you unlock by finding Gollum on your map of choice, finishing him to get the One Ring, and you put the Ring into the Fortress to recruit the most epic hero your faction can.
But in Empire of the East, rather than limit these epic heroes to Galadriel or Sauron, will make the Ring Hero system like this:
- Gondor’s Ring Hero = Isildur
- Rohan’s Ring Hero = Eorl the Young
- Elven Ring Hero = Galadriel
- Dwarven Ring Hero = Thorin Oakenshield
- Isengard Ring Hero = faction hero Saruman gets automatically leveled to 10, and only with the One Ring can he toggle between normal command set vs the ‘Saruman the Colorful’ command set.
- Mordor Ring Hero = Dark Lord Sauron as known from the LOTR movies
- Goblin Ring Hero = Smaug the Golden Dragon
- Easterling Ring Hero = Gorthaur [Sauron as the sorcerer he was in The Silmarillion]
That’s all for now.
Thanks all for reading this lovely new post!
~Kyle S. Perkins